Teeth whitening is easy and safe and can be done in the practice or at home, adding the finishing touch to a makeover.
In-practice whitening is fast. We use Philips Zoom! which can lighten teeth by up to six shades in 45 minutes because stronger ingredients are used.
You’ll leave the dentist chair with a brighter, more confident smile, having reversed stains from food and drinks, ageing and even discoloration from some types of medication.
How in-practice whitening works
- Your mouth is prepped and a layer of whitening gel is applied to your teeth
- An LED lamp is used on your teeth to accelerate the whitening
- This is repeated three times
- When you have reached your desired shade, your dentist will apply a post-treatment gel to protect the enamel and reduce sensitivity
The other option is at-home whitening, which works in one to two weeks. It begins with a consultation where your dentist will provide you with customised mouth trays that fit your teeth and gum line. You add whitening gel to the trays and wear them twice in the day time or overnight until your teeth reach the desired shade.
How at-home whitening works
- Put a teardrop size of tooth whitening gel into each impression in your trays
- Place the trays over your teeth
- When the prescribed time is up, take out your trays and clean them with cold water
- Brush your teeth
How much does teeth whitening cost?
Is teeth whitening painful?
You may experience short-term sensitivity, particularly with take-home whitening.
How long do the effects last?
Up to a year.
When can I see the results?
Instantly with in-practice whitening, and within two weeks with at-home whitening.
Is it safe?
Yes, when carried out or supervised by a qualified dentist.
How does whitening work?
The whitening gel contains an ingredient that penetrates your enamel to get to discoloured molecules. Oxygen molecules from the whitening agents react with the discoloured molecules, breaking the bonds that hold them together.
What are the side-effects?
You may experience sensitivity but this will not last for more than a day.
Can I have top-ups?
Yes, you can return for top up sessions in the practice or keep using your whitening kit at home whenever you feel the need.
Can I have my teeth whitened if I’m pregnant?
Since there isn’t enough data we recommend that you wait until after pregnancy and breastfeeding.